The Science

Chocolate and Dogs

The Science

Chocolate and Dogs

There are two chemicals in chocolate that are toxic to dogs: caffeine and theobromine. Dogs are not able to digest these chemicals like humans. If left untreated, the toxins can lead to excessive heart rates, seizures, and potential death. 

Caffeine and theobromine are absorbed in the stomach, so a fast response is needed to prevent harm to your dog.

You are the first line of defense!

Be Prepared - Now

Prevention

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Preventing your dog from eating chocolate is always most effective.

Be Prepared

Know what you need and how to administer before a chocolate event happens

Have a Plan

Know how to contact your veterinarian and know where your nearest emergency clinic is.

Fast Facts

Did you know?

0%

85% of people believe their dog is a family member

0%

Only 8% of people know how much chocolate could be deadly to their dog

0%

A mere 12% of people believe they would know what to do if their dog ate chocolate

0%

82% of people know a dog treated for chocolate ingestion

From the Pet Owners (Because Dogs Can't Talk)

Reviews

Our dog always gets into something

Our mischievous corgi, McFly, seems to always be getting into something. When it's chocolate we panic. The nearest emergency vet is almost an hour away.

— Aaron H., Wisconsin

Get it.

I'm someone who dropped $3,000 on vet bills after a dog ingested something it shouldn't.

— Steph M. California

You are the first line of defense!