The Story Behind Chocolate Rescue


At around 11pm in December 2021, Amadeus came home to find his golden retriever standing over an empty bag of baker’s dark chocolate. Quickly Googling “how much chocolate is fatal for a dog”, instead of any clear answers, he found confusing online calculators. However, he did find one useful bit of info – hydrogen peroxide could make a dog throw up…

After frantically asking his neighbors for hydrogen peroxide, he forced the recommended amount into Leo’s mouth and held it shut, and waited… Leo looked confused and sad, but did not throw up. Twice more, the recommended dose was forced down Leo’s throat. Again, no effect. Later, the emergency vet would share that only 50% of dog’s react to hydrogen peroxide – something the website didn’t mention.


Now, with hydrogen peroxide burning through Leo’s stomach and chocolate quickly being absorbed, Amadeus skipped the $95 pet poison hotline and called a local emergency vet directly. After hearing Leo’s size and how much chocolate he ate, they said in no unclear terms that Leo needed to be rushed in immediately. Luckily, the vet was only a short drive away, and open 24/7 because Leo had no chance of living through the night.


After about six hours at the emergency vet, Amadeus was allowed to see Leo again. The truth was, he didn’t know if he would ever get to see him again, and was overjoyed to pay the nearly $500 bill.


The next day, though, Amadeus realized something – vet bills are expensive! And what’s worse, there was nothing stopping this from happening again, so he decided to hop online and buy whatever product for chocolate poisoning he could find. Just one problem – none existed! And here’s where fate came into play…


Amadeus’ dream was to become a patent attorney and help young scientists retain ownership of their inventions without breaking the bank, and he was only three short weeks from opening his own practice. However, a worldwide patent search returned the amazing result - nothing had ever been developed for dog chocolate poisoning.